Yes, I will be opening up commissions again. No I have not forgotten the ones I still owe (unfortunate is a lenient word to use for how long it's taken for me to not get anything done). As has been painfully obvious, cranking out art hasn't been my forte for years; with *HJeojeo's outstanding support I've found myself surprisingly productive these last few days. It seems I've reached a bit of a thaw finally. However! I'd like to not get ahead of myself and start small, namely with chibi commissions, and slowly work my way to fully addressing matters years in progress.
I plan on opening up three slots a week (which may be a bit of an overestimation, nonetheless I will do what I can to keep true to this) at a tentative (I might knock it down a bit if deemed too expensive) $10 per chibi and $17 for couple chibis in this style:
These commissions will most likely open up very soon because of the next topic at hand!
Over her Thanksgiving vacation, my mom brought along my sister... and two unexpected guests: my aunts. On the last night they were here one of them offhandedly mentioned how I should really make a game, really apparently I'm quite suited for it. She introduced me to Unity, which by all means seems rather impressive and so an idea stuck with me. I'd make a game.
Of course my family had all assumed I'd be making a mini game for a phone app, but since when have I started with such small aspirations? Oh no, I'm planning to make a full 3-D JRPG style video game set in a linear universe of over a dozen stories I will work on one by one (albeit not all in game form, the format won't fit a good number of them). This game will be an absurdly ambitious undertaking and I will need to be able to fund hiring people for a team. Which is reason for the hasty undertaking of commissions.
I've already started on concept art and writing out details of the game's story/ universe and potential elements of gameplay. I may post some pieces here and there of work I've done on it, but I may withhold much in the possibility of making an art book (one of my backup plans for raising money if a kickstarter for a game doesn't work so smoothly). I'll most likely give updates periodically and if you fancy, I'd greatly appreciate if you spread intrigue!
Here let me give you some reasons why this project is going to be awesome:
1. Although set in its own universe, the character cast is going to be obviously racially varied. No, really, the main character is an equivalent of like half Spanish and half Indian. I'm not aiming to be racially sensitive; I'm aiming to have a cast that's easily identified and doesn't leave that residual feeling of 'why are there no immigrants in this country'.
2. Unlike big name companies I have no stigma for representing a wide spectrum of sexual orientation and gender identity. I want my characters to be relateable and as a genderqueer lesbian I have made sure that there will be lesbians. A noticeable amount of them. The monarchy is doomed! Anyways, I'm sure some of you pervs will like that.
3. It will be heavily art based. Lots of games these days aim to be the cutting edge in hyper realistic graphics. Do I have that sort of time, budget, and team? Hell no. So to make due with what I do have (or at least to have a more realistic goal) I aim to make the style highly color and shape based in it's own way outside of realistic and cartoony. I want it to be visually stunning in its (planned) simplicity.
4. No bullshit gameplay: Big companies have the luxury of testing out their gameplay and still keeping their reputation because they're rich fucks who are good at what they do; making games. If you want random mini games or out of place puzzles, this is not the game for you. I want the gameplay to be straightforward and have a minimal use of unnecessary elements. Like I said, this will be a JRPG style game, but it won't be an exact copy of anything. I'm drawing inspiration from lots of games to construct a smooth, yet still very familiar gameplay for all your rpg fans out there.
5. This is an indi project and you know what that meaaansss~ We can be much more lax with content and such. No worrying so much over offending people or that something may be too scandalous for the public to handle; we have more freedom. Of course I have no intention of including offensive material in the first place. But this will allow us to actually have the homogays being benignly homosexual (and not just shoved into the background cause who needs a main character who's a handsome gay woman who really thinks nothing of sexuality but does find the ladies rather enticing?) and the trans folk who aren't made to be completely stereotypical. And also the writing won't be tailored thinking 'what if they don't understand this?' You're all smart enough. Who cares if Dagmar uses big words? I'm not worried about the opinion of every person; I want to make a product that I feel is well made, not acceptable by some bullshit standards at the expense of quality, and hopefully others will share my sentiments.
Well, back to work for me! Please share any thoughts, really feedback is the greatest thing to have.